GM Questions

'The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.'
Kannon

GM Questions

Post by Kannon »

Ask away.

If they are relevant beyond a single case, I'll be adding answers to FAQ.
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Claudius Reins

Re: GM Questions

Post by Claudius Reins »

If a supporting character is nothing but scenery/present as flavor, but not making any rolls/assistance do they still count for momentum costs?
House Londine | Financial Analyst | Honest | Non-Combatant
Accompanied by: Addison Passepartout & Kage
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

I may lower or nullify Momentum costs for particular threads. In addition, you'll have one thread of your choosing, marked at its start, per IC day when you don't pay the cost for a single support character. Otherwise all costs have to be paid.

Pregame is excluded. No costs there, nor rolling, unless called. But pets must stay away from the open decks.
Claudius Reins

Post by Claudius Reins »

RE: space port

is there a people/vehicle limit?
Can supporting characters ride separate from their main?
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Let's assume 4 plus Sardaukar.

Yes.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Following Genevieve/Flession's recommendation, can I make a thread without a timeslot in the Frigate forum to represent a physical board maintained on the Frigate where delegates can post their thoughts, plans, suspicions, and questions? I figure we can each have a post showing what we have up on the board and edit that to show any changes we make as new information comes up?
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

You can as well do that beneath your public descriptions?
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

I think we were looking for a one stop shop kind of place for people to catch up on the fly with what's going on OOC and IC.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Go with whatever works. OOC Sticky is an option too. I'd rather keep RP forums for RP if it can be helped.
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Post by Reyyan Ebrahammi »

Rules of the Event:

The guesthouse has six zones of conflict: five floors (hall, shops, restaurant, smaller suites, bigger suites), and the roof. The zones are contiguous in that order if you're using staircases, or adjacent in any way if you are using the elevator, but it takes one round of doing nothing to change zones this way if it's on your floor, two if it isn't, and there is only one. The elevator starts at the fourth level.
You know where you start by now. The Harkonnen are just outside and will enter the conflict on their turn, the fugitive is in the hall.
The fugitive is heading for the roof to grab one of the thopters and attempt an escape from Carthag by air. Eight Harkonnen minions are in pursuit, armed with knives, batons, and flechette pistols or lasguns. The Harkonnen are not hostile toward the player characters but may respond with violence to blatant attempts to stop them.
Query; Do the stairs and elevator both go all the way to the roof, or would someone need to get off at the top floor then somewhere else for roof access?
Sardaukar * Armored * Guardian * Strict * Loyal * Fanatical * Religious * Tall * Levenbrech
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The latter.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

What kind of autonomy does the CHOAM Guesthouse have? Would Dorian be completely out of line to tell the Harkonnens they need to leave if he encounters them? Like I imagine they wouldn't be able to chase someone into the Guild Bank building for example.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

It has little autonomy beyond private rooms.
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

House Mutelli 🔪 Spice Sommelier 🔪 Chef 🔪 Observant 🔪 Detail Oriented

Carries: Chef's Knife
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

In Suffer Not, was it two rounds to get between floors if taking stairs? So Dorian on round two would pretty much come busting out of the stairwell door on the two Harkonnens if I'm reading the situation correctly? And that would be the end of his turn, movement into floor 2 shops, maybe a few quick words?
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Your move was not ineffectual when you moved last turn, failed roll just meant other restrictions. Stairs are not separate zones, they are narrative explanation of moving zones. Zones are floors.

So you're at level 2 now, ready to act potentially. But before players can do their mojo, I must resolve Move Boldly from the Harks. Normally I'd choose who to put forth, but since there's 3 of you there, and 2 PCs I've decided to use it as a chance to show your colours. Treat this as 'be compelled to act' rather than just straight out Move somewhere.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Oh yeah, I was thinking of having to move out from their bold movement as my turn, but that's actually a part of their turn.

I completely misread the bit about the elevator and stairs thought it was one round of nothing to move by elevator and two by stairs. This makes more sense.

I'll have Dorian be the one to get pulled out, he would step up to prevent innocent bystanders from being targeted. Should I got ahead and post my turn starting with stepping out and then take the rest of my action, or would there be a reaction from Dorian stepping out?
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Dorian Drake wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Oh yeah, I was thinking of having to move out from their bold movement as my turn, but that's actually a part of their turn.

I completely misread the bit about the elevator and stairs thought it was one round of nothing to move by elevator and two by stairs. This makes more sense.

I'll have Dorian be the one to get pulled out, he would step up to prevent innocent bystanders from being targeted. Should I got ahead and post my turn starting with stepping out and then take the rest of my action, or would there be a reaction from Dorian stepping out?
You can step out now and let Gene have her action, which she uses to leave a message. You can do your own action later this turn. Unless you keep init or something.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

So I know how Dorian would play things out in the setting should it come to it. Are we isolated enough where if he and possibly some others were to kill all the Harkonnen, it could be attributed to the fugitive they are chasing?

Also, does the elevator have some kind of indicator showing it was called down to the first floor?

Lastly, also regarding the elevator, am I understanding the rounds correctly that they are on round 1 to call and get into elevator, next round will move to the floor of their choosing and the following round will be when they exit?
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

There are some two dozen other people in the hotel. If you don't do it stealthily, witnesses will abound, and that will probably result in the collapse of the mission. And even when assassinating there may be witnesses if you make me feel like swimming in Threat.

The indicator on the lift is only that it is in use. How it is used will require some perception check.

The Harkonnen have got into elevator and are now on the move. Quick lift happens this turn. Those in the lift will start their next turn on whatever floor they have chosen.
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

In addition, I will tell this event is very consequential for the storyline, so for me it is more about "choices we make" rather than "puzzles we crack".
Claudius Reins

Post by Claudius Reins »

So when the storm hits wherever people were EM D5 they will be stuck D6?
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

For some of the D6, yes.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

If I wanted to created a trait like Overconfident or Impatient on the Harkonnens, do I need to do anything other than spend 2 momentum? And could I still make a Bold move that turn? And lastly if so, would that reduce the difficulty of the Bold move?
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Spending Momentum on something means this can logically result from your actions. So you act first, then spend Momentum on the desired outcome. If you want them overconfident or impatient, you must arrange a situation for them to be plausibly so, and then spend Momentum.