[Day 4 - FMS] A Solari for Your Thoughts

Dorian Drake

[Day 4 - FMS] A Solari for Your Thoughts

Post by Dorian Drake »

Relieved by the break from the inelegant and brutish architecture of the Harkonnens, Dorian gladly walks up to the tower of white marble that housed the Guild Bank. He had questions and hopefully they could provide answers.

OOC: Wearing stillsuit under regular clothes. He thought about taking it off in Carthag, but has grown fond of it, like a second skin.
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Cuyler Gray

Re: [Day 4 - FMS] A Solari for Your Thoughts

Post by Cuyler Gray »

Cuyler walked beside Dorian. Banks weren't of much interest her, but it was likely safer than flying over the sands. Right?
House Mutelli 🔪 Spice Sommelier 🔪 Chef 🔪 Observant 🔪 Detail Oriented

Carries: Chef's Knife
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The guards gave them a bewildered look but didn't bar their entry.

The activity in the main hall had already winded down and most of the signs indicating the types of financial services offered by any given desk had been dimmed to indicate being shut.

Still, a black-robed man with overlarge ears approached them as if to prevent them wandering on their own.

"How can the Spacing Guild be of assistance to you at this hour?"
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian presented himself to the man, "Dorian Drake, Swordmaster of House Mutelli, and this is my associate Ms. Cuyler Gray, also of House Mutelli. We are here on Arrakis as delegates of the CHOAM audit. We had hoped to speak with Mr. Abad Nejhre. My apologies for calling at such a late hour, we have quickly acclimated to operating through the night hours to avoid the horrendous heat of the day."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The Guildsman stood in eerie silence for a moment, the only indication something was happening was the fluttering dilation of his pupils.

"...Chief Financial Officer Nejhre shall see you." He answered finally. "On the condition of respecting the Spacing Guild's strict neutrality and non-participation with regard to the CHOAM audit. Making any demands of Chief Financial Officer Nejhre is strictly beyond accepted protocol and shall immediately terminate the meeting."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Of course," Dorian replied, "the Guild can only expect the utmost decorum from House Mutelli."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"Follow the blue glowglobes to the elevator." The Guildsman said simply and moved to the side.
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

Cuyler followed her companion towards the elevator. "What do you think Dorian? The decor is interesting."

Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Yes, it's lovely, such a nice relief from all the earth-tones of Arrakis and a more than welcome contrast to the utilitarian Harkonnen sensibilities. Hopefully, that bodes well for a civilized conversation with Mr. Nejhre. I'm thankful you joined me to speak with him. I hope to discuss Mutelli business as well as audit business."
Description
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

Their feet clacked pleasantly on the marble at they got to the elevator. The floor was chosen for them, and not even disclosed. They arrived at an opulent office, no corridors, straight away, with the man they might be recalling from the Count's banquet turning on his suspensor chair behind bloodwood desk, with unique patterns shaping underneath its surface when he pressed his knuckles on it to rise.

"Ah, a Mutelli delegation. Come sit, be my guests. A taste of home, perhaps?"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian bowed respectfully to the man when he turned to face them, "Dorian Drake, Swordmaster of House Mutelli. Thank you for seeing us on such short notice. Unfortunately, our mission does not facilitate a set travel schedule, so we could not make prior arrangements. We would be honored to accept your hospitality."
Description
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

"We do apologize for any inconveniece." Cuyler added.

Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"No inconvenience! If anything, now's the time for me to make social calls. Don't let my offworld colleagues give you too harsh an impression. Good business needs some soft touch." He smiled, walking toward the cabinet from which he produced a started bottle of Kirana brandy and three glasses. He moved them under a certified Ixian snooper to make a point, then sat.

"So, what bring you to me tonight, Mr Drake, Ms Gray?" He asked before pouring.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Pleasantly surprised by the reveal, Dorian flashes a grin to Nejhre, "I couldn't agree more Mr. Nejhre. We from House Mutelli often apply the soft touch with our friends and business partners and we appreciate those who do the same."

Accepting the glass from Nejhre, Dorian takes a moment to take in the aroma from the brandy. A spirit this delicate should not be rushed. "In our short time on Arrakis, a few questions have arisen. We were hoping that from your esteemed position, you might be able to enlighten us. For instance, is there anything you could share about Ms. Rima Birawi? Any information about or experience with her that could help inform us about what type of person she is?"
Description
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

The banker sipped his brandy in a very similar way.

"Mr Drake, my profession dictates I don't divulge confidential information just like that. You are speaking about a potential client here, surely you understand the predicament it would put my credibility in if I approached such questions casually. First of all then, what drives your interest in Madame Birawi?"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"But of course, I wouldn't ask you to divulge confidential information. We have lawtechs and accountants to dig up that type of information through proper channels. Perhaps I was misleading when I asked for your assistance from your position. I merely meant that you, as an influential man of Arrakis, must have a great deal of knowledge of what goes on here, perhaps even more than the Harkonnens. In regards to Lady Birawi, I have taken a personal and professional interest in her. Given her line of work, it is prudent to ask others in the know their opinion instead of relying on her charming self to divulge everything. I personally, and House Mutelli, would be grateful for any insights you could provide into the character of the woman, any red flags someone knew to Arrakis might not be aware of." Dorian says with a charming smile before taking a small sip of the brandy, letting the warmth of the liquor spread through his mouth.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

`[Communicate 3 to make it persuasive]
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian was confident the man would see the wisdom and pragmatism of his words and cooperate.
-----
FMS4, Let's be friends, Communicate 6 + Faith 6, TN 12, +1 Threat: 3#1d20 3 11 19
Failed 2 successes vs 3 difficulty, +1 threat
Description
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

Cuyler listened as she sampled the brandy.

Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"Hmmm, the non-confidential part is that Madame Birawi is not using the financial services of the Guild Bank yet as it seems she's inherited quite the sum from her poor husband. But solaris do run out at some point, don't they?" He chuckled. "Presently, I counsel the Water Seller's Union, that's why they call me 'Soo-Soo', for the peddlers' cry. You can use this nickname if you want, I rather like it. What I can say is there are some disputes between the Bewts and the Birawis, over secondary franchises. That shouldn't surprise you, Houses lock horns all the time, Major or Minor. It's the way of the Faufreluches." He sipped again.

[1 Advancement Point to Dorian]
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Well, Soo-Soo, it sounds as though Lady Birawi is a formidable business competitor. From what I have heard and what we have experienced, the Bewts are rather competent. To contend against them says much in and of itself..." Dorian thoughtfully examines his glass of brandy.

"I will be direct with you Soo-Soo, House Mutelli has cast their eyes away from Arrakis for some time; however, it seems an opportune time to form some connections here. Both in an effort for further stability here on Arrakis as well as the obvious financial benefits it would bring to our House. We have been at this game for quite some time and we know how to recognize talent and how to develop it. We would be extremely grateful to have an experienced advisor such as yourself to guide our endeavors here. I'm sure we could make a lucrative arrangement without any hint of impropriety or conflict of interest with your existing obligations. Again, we have some of the best lawtechs for that sort of thing."
Description
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"This is a very interesting suggestion. I am glad you understand there are limits to such a commitment, I represent the Guild first and foremost, and would never act against its interests." The man kept smiling, put down the glass to steeple his fingers and pendulate thoughtfully on his suspensor chair. "You'd have to allow me some time to think about it. Say, once we know this audit's conclusion. I am a man of certain prudence, I'd like to see how House Mutelli delivers on their commitments. For Duke Flambert to step up his political involvement by sending you here, this is new to some extent. And as with any novelty, it takes time to tell if it catches on."
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

"We all seek new opportunities." Cuyler said, setting down her glass. "We shouldn't simply rely on things as they are."

Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"Like this excellent brandy, I let my opportunities season. Somehow, they never pass me by. A privilege of a banker, one can say." He smiled.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Very well said. Although, you do remind me of another oddity I am curious about, if you could indulge me. Why is it the Guild didn't sponsor this audit while it sponsored the audits of the past? Does the Guild forsee House Harkonnen on Arrakis as the best option for continued economic stability? Is there something that we, as representatives of House Mutelli, should know as we carry out this audit?"
Description