The Banquet [EE1]

Omri B'rrican

Re: The Banquet [EE1]

Post by Omri B'rrican »

Claudius Reins wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:57 pm
"Yes, truly a terrifying proposition" She sips her water
"Let's eat some, eh?" Omri suggested, seeing how others were moving toward partaking in the Fenrings' fare.
Bomilcar Thorvald

Post by Bomilcar Thorvald »

Lingar Bewt wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:15 pm
"Off all these newcomers, I think you will do fine here with this mindset, lord Bomilcar." Lingar added a small smile to his words, and then reoriented himself toward the food. The Fenrings served delicacies he didn't want to see wasted.
Lingar received a nod.

Bomilcar did likewise. He was no connoisseur but he appreciated fine things like were served here. It's obvious in how he seems to appreciate each bite.

After a bit, he brought up a new but related topic. "A tour of your operation?" He was curious to see the reality of how things worked. He didn't have the full picture, but seeing that would likely help him understand.
House Thorvald * Inglorious Bastard * Protector * Kind Heart * Hard Eyes * Intense * Scarred * Quiet
Carries: Broken-back Saex, Personal Shield
Lingar Bewt

Post by Lingar Bewt »

"For that, you'd have to take your frigate to the North Pole; it is outside the range of most 'thopters here. Or just go out into the city and follow one of my water merchants in their daily work." Lingar said, raising his gaze from a roast slig, the sweetest meat of the Imperium, allegedly Shaddam's favourite. Truly, the Count didn't hold back on hospitality tonight.
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

Abad Nejhre wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:18 pm
"Good evening, doctor. A Suk professional is a rare view on Arrakis. Wealth flows from here, to here - less so."
"An astute observation. My services are required, though, and so here I am." Lorra's eyes scanned about the room even as she spoke to the Guildsman.

"Has this been a profitable quarter for you?" She inquired, going with what she assumed passed for harmless small-talk among those in the Guild. There was danger in relying on stereotypes and assumptions, but when one has little else, a bit of exploratory surgery may be called for.
House Vernius | Suk Doctor | Imperial Conditioning | Tinkerer | Ixian
"I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended."
Daryen Alhwin

Post by Daryen Alhwin »

Count Fenring wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:49 am

"A mentat, ah." Daryen drew the attention of the Count. "No other House.... hmmm-oh.... has sent a mentat."

The casual, even light tone, peppered with Fenring's trademark mannerism, could presage anything.

"Mentats need data to perform, uh-ah?"
Daryen gave the count a somewhat impassive look but nodded to the question "Yes we do. Luckily everything is data. Every person here and not here, every conversational partner the placement of each guard. All of it tells a story, each decision made with a purpose." He remarked cold eyes scanning the room and then landing back on the Count.

"Figuring out what it all means, that is what a Mentat does."
House Hagal * Mentat * Sharp Eyes * Quiet * Probably knows more than you*
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

Lorra Giap wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 am
"An astute observation. My services are required, though, and so here I am." Lorra's eyes scanned about the room even as she spoke to the Guildsman.

"Has this been a profitable quarter for you?" She inquired, going with what she assumed passed for harmless small-talk among those in the Guild. There was danger in relying on stereotypes and assumptions, but when one has little else, a bit of exploratory surgery may be called for.
"I have a diversified portfolio. In a place like Arrakis, there is often a near zero-sum economic game as people live according to necessity rather than whim. When some businesses go up, others go down. All other things being equal, interest is a stable surplus."

The man grinned, pointing across the table at Lingar Bewt.

"Take the Water Sellers' Union. I am considered a parasite by the Bewts, but it is like telling that the ecosystem doesn't need its predators to regulate it. All predators on Arrakis are blood-drinkers, and I have made a similar adaptation. Pyons, who are closer to those fundamental necessities, recognise my role and call be 'Soo-Soo', like the water peddlers' call. It unnerves my friend Lingar that he cannot be in full control, but no local stakeholder can operate outside the stricures of CHOAM and the Guild. Even the siridar governors, as your mission demonstrates."
Count Fenring

Post by Count Fenring »

Daryen Alhwin wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 am

Daryen gave the count a somewhat impassive look but nodded to the question "Yes we do. Luckily everything is data. Every person here and not here, every conversational partner the placement of each guard. All of it tells a story, each decision made with a purpose." He remarked cold eyes scanning the room and then landing back on the Count.

"Figuring out what it all means, that is what a Mentat does."
The Count found being lectured on the use of mentats amusing, but decided to humour this one.

"And... ah... what does it all mean? Or are you... oh... still short on data, Mentat, to make your.... mwah... first-level approximations?"
Noble | Imperial Spice Minister | Friend of the Emperor | Assassin
Bomilcar Thorvald

Post by Bomilcar Thorvald »

Lingar Bewt wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:54 pm
"For that, you'd have to take your frigate to the North Pole; it is outside the range of most 'thopters here. Or just go out into the city and follow one of my water merchants in their daily work." Lingar said, raising his gaze from a roast slig, the sweetest meat of the Imperium, allegedly Shaddam's favourite. Truly, the Count didn't hold back on hospitality tonight.
He nods at that, taking another bite and seeming to savor it, as much as a stoic expression could indicate savoring.
House Thorvald * Inglorious Bastard * Protector * Kind Heart * Hard Eyes * Intense * Scarred * Quiet
Carries: Broken-back Saex, Personal Shield
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

Abad Nejhre wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:49 am
"I have a diversified portfolio. In a place like Arrakis, there is often a near zero-sum economic game as people live according to necessity rather than whim. When some businesses go up, others go down. All other things being equal, interest is a stable surplus."

The man grinned, pointing across the table at Lingar Bewt.

"Take the Water Sellers' Union. I am considered a parasite by the Bewts, but it is like telling that the ecosystem doesn't need its predators to regulate it. All predators on Arrakis are blood-drinkers, and I have made a similar adaptation. Pyons, who are closer to those fundamental necessities, recognise my role and call be 'Soo-Soo', like the water peddlers' call. It unnerves my friend Lingar that he cannot be in full control, but no local stakeholder can operate outside the stricures of CHOAM and the Guild. Even the siridar governors, as your mission demonstrates."
"There are long-standing truths to any balanced, well-functioning ecosystem, certainly." Lorra agreed, adroitly holding her tongue when it came to the matter of siridar governors getting flexed upon by Imperial authorities. Best, perhaps, not to draw attention to such things until allies and enemies could be gauged.

"That is an interesting adaptation: the drinking of blood. An adaptation found among both parasitoids and higher-order animals. The one feeding must take care that the one being fed upon does not expire, if they wish to return again for another meal."

A pause. The Ixian's expression behind her goggles largely inscrutable.

"Unless the one being fed upon was already deceased, of course. I am curious as to which form of blood drinker the fauna of Arrakis are like."
"I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended."
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"Both are prevalent, carrion eaters and hunters. But no blood predator seems to have dominated this world enough to ever get close to the concern of depleting what feeds it. There's always some desert vermin to feed on. Except perhaps the worm, but noone has the faintest idea how they get their nourishment and what it is that they devour. Except for mining equipment, of course. "

The banker smirked, looking at B'rrican.
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

"As you say." Giant sandworm anatomy was not a subject of much study at the Suk school, nor one she had pursued much upon graduation. There were other concerns.

"Though, metal and the other components of machinery make for poor nutrition for many living things. Surely there must be other prey animals the worms feed upon." A reflective pause. "Perhaps even each other."

What a dismal place this must be, Lorra thought, where the strongest and largest are thrown into and turn upon one another to become the strongest and largest in an unending cycle of hunger and combat.
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"Worms are cannibals? That hasn't crossed my mind before but I wouldn't be surprised. We should ask Dr. Kynes - if he ever appears!" The man snickered. "Speaking of devouring, have you tried the slig? It's a true delicacy." He gestured at the plates with colourfully served roast meat.
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

"I have not. I found the colors to be intimidating."

It was commonplace in nature, after all, that the more vibrantly colorful something was, then generally the more one ought not to eat it. Colorfulness correlated with venomousness, as true among the worlds of the Imperium as it was on Earth.

"Though, at your recommendation, I shall try some." A pause. "Was the Planetologist to make an appearance at this banquet?"
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"The food is intimidating, I can give you that. Snails' and pigs' genes intertwined by the Tleilaxu... The creature must be supremely disgusting. And yet, this is the sweetest meat in the Imperium, worthy of the Padishah's table. But isn't this planet such a slig too?" 'Soo-soo' grinned in delight at his comparison, looking at Fenring wondering if it were intended for anyone to make this connection and he'd just won the witty prize. "Ah, Dr. Kynes. He consorts so much with the desert rabble that he's rarely here, so I can't really tell. But he's avoided auditors before."
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

Abad Nejhre wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 am
"The food is intimidating, I can give you that. Snails' and pigs' genes intertwined by the Tleilaxu... The creature must be supremely disgusting. And yet, this is the sweetest meat in the Imperium, worthy of the Padishah's table. But isn't this planet such a slig too?" 'Soo-soo' grinned in delight at his comparison, looking at Fenring wondering if it were intended for anyone to make this connection and he'd just won the witty prize. "Ah, Dr. Kynes. He consorts so much with the desert rabble that he's rarely here, so I can't really tell. But he's avoided auditors before."
Desert rabble. Ah, yes, Lorra thought to herself.

Letting the subject of sligs fall by the wayside, Lorra displayed the first degree of interest since she arrived on this blasted world.

"The Fremen, then? Interesting. I have heard stories about them even on Ix. Truly intriguing specimens, from what I understand. Physiological adaptation at work and all that."
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

"Rats are equally well-adapted." Soo-soo scoffed, but then brightened. "Thinking about dissecting one?"
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

Abad Nejhre wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 am
"Rats are equally well-adapted." Soo-soo scoffed, but then brightened. "Thinking about dissecting one?"
"A rat? No. I would learn nothing from it." Lorra said without even thinking about it. The thought process that would countenance dissecting a Fremen was blocked from going through in her mind.
Abad Nejhre

Post by Abad Nejhre »

Abad shrugged. "In the end, there's more nuisance than anything else when those nomads are discussed. They only make it difficult for this planet to get properly civilised. I know that on some worlds the backward populace is put in reservations, or just put to some menial work. This would be desirable here, they could still live their desert lives or whatnot without interfering with progress. Alas, the desert is so large it is hard to contain them. Hence my rats metaphor, they always find ways to get away."
Lorra Giap

Post by Lorra Giap »

"Rats do spread disease, as well." Lorra pointed out, extending the metaphor limply. So did people, she ruminated to herself. "So there is wisdom in seeking control of such populations."

"And if there is a profit to be made, so much the better for the Guild's interests, hm?"
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Abad nodded with a wry smile.
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Count Fenring

Post by Count Fenring »

Then, the Count rang with a spoon on the wine glass and rose.

"I... aaah... hope you've enjoyed the... uhm... slig and other treats. I think you have your... mwah-uh-hmmm... tasks carved out for you, and I won't interfere in those. But don't forget to report your.... uh-oh... findings regularly. The Padishah Emperor is most interested in the ...mmmwah... outcomes. As long as you act in line of your duty and we witness your... mmmm... dedication, my dear wife and I are willing to provide you with... oh-ah-hmm... circumstantial aid. The Sardaukar have ensured that there is... oh-eh-hhhhmmm... a secure channel at your frigate."
Noble | Imperial Spice Minister | Friend of the Emperor | Assassin
Lady Fenring

Post by Lady Fenring »

Lady Fenring caught Genevieve's gaze and passed her own message through subtle gesticulation.

All Sisterhood interests have my commitment and support.