Day 1 LA: A way in

Ahmina

Day 1 LA: A way in

Post by Ahmina »

Ahmina had been walking the streets of Arrakeen at random to fool any observer for her destination was her own. The streets were lightly populated as only now did the sun descent's began releasing the pressure of it's heat.

The first out where the early workers and the children, of course. The former for because they needed to, the later because youth could not be kept still for long.

Dodging a pair of siblings kicking a reddish-brown ball around, Ahmina finally reached her destination: The Residency.

She kept an eye out for Mapes as she was told of her coming.
Fremen * Light * Discreet * Faithful * Loyal * Just *
The Shadout Mapes

Re: Day 1 LA: A way in

Post by The Shadout Mapes »

Only the children dared to be careless; the emaciated pyons carried too much fear for the next days, hours, even minutes. The Harkonnen had been on a culling spree lately, with Rabban making random examples, even so close to the Fenrings' windows, as if to prove the Harkonnen were in control. He probably proved the exact opposite, but Mudir Nahya wasn't infamous for his devious intelligence.

The Graben folk had a begrudging respect of the Fremen, and more often then not they just gave them a wide berth to fend of their unpredictability. They might have been same people long ago, but different environments had shaped them differently. There was a saying, that polish comes from the cities, but wisdom comes from the desert. That, however, outed the desert folk to Harkonnen patrols with ease, and that was something Ahmina should avoid, to be caught by a patrol of blue-suited bravos. Fortunately, this time she was up to the task.

How different were the palms here from those in the Plaster Basin. Here, they stood as offence, watered at the expense of all around, feeding on them, a symbol of hierarchy, not common purpose. Plant was never just a plant; its relationships with the environment mattered, as Liet taught.

She was told to seek the side-entrance, and Mapes was indeed waiting there. She hushed her in wordlessly.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

Ahmina followed her direction wordlessly for silence was worth it's weight in water. Only when she was sure no one could hear did she speak her greeting...even then in hushed tones

''Subakh ul kuhar Shadout Mapes''
The Shadout Mapes

"Subakh un nar." The Shadout greeted her back. "We don't have much time. We'll have you get changed. As a servant, what can you do?"
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

''I am silent, discreet...but I am also swift and agile.'' she replied...not sure of what a servant would normally do
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"I think you can serve the table. Come with me." She was led through a narrow corridor that felt older than most of the keep to what seemed like rows of servant quarters, with some common space. Ahmina was shown the room and given the livery. She'd have to remove the stillsuit, and it was not a sietch...

---

Discipline 2 to adapt to a new role.
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

(ooc: discipline 6 +faith 8, Self control applies?)
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Sure. Complication level is 18 due to uncertainties related to the situation. As this is preparation for the next scene, Scene Momentum gathered here will transfer to EE.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

She seemed to be doing a fairly good job at getting the job done...in theory, at least

The removal of her stillsuit was...uncomfortable, to say the least

----
18, 5
Complication and crit success
The Shadout Mapes

Complication: Overconfident

Ahmina took to her new role so immediately and with such commitment that she made herself believe that she could be an expert server without much experience.

Mapes took a good look of her, keeping some scepticism to herself, smoothing the livery. "Your things will be safe in here. Keep your crysknife, but nothing more. I will tell you know about the plans for the evening."
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

''Nothing more?'' she whispered before discretely revealing her bodkin
The Shadout Mapes

"The Count is a master killer, and his wife is a Reverend Mother. They will see you are Fremen and they will see that you have a crysknife, but this is what they expect. Other blades will bring you more trouble than good." Mapes said decisively.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

Ahmina's frown furrowed but she could see the wisdom of The Shadout and reluctantly nodded

''This is your field, I will obey'' she lowers her head in contrition
The Shadout Mapes

"I am the Shadout, I know the waters that run deep." Mapes said with ritualistic candour, then nodded. "The Fenrings trust me to do my work. No mistake about you is my work now. It is a water burden."

She paused. "You will not serve the man you know, but the other guests. Your familiarity may betray you. I understand you don't want anyone to know. Fenrings will know if you show it to them."
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

Ahmina simply nodded and kept her head low. The Shadout was wise and surely with her counsel her role as a servant girl will not be a problem

''As you say Shadout. Can you tell me anything else?''
The Shadout Mapes

"I can tell you much. Listen and learn..." The Shadout would lead her through the rooms to the kitchens, she would introduce her to other servants, explain the dishes, the timing, the setting of the table, the typical replies and reactions to requests, the pathways across the banquet hall. It was a lot to take in at once...

---

Understand 2, +1 for Overconfident. Complication Level: 19. You can buy more dice by giving me Threat.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

(ooc: So right now I roll 2 dice minus one for overconfident and try to get under 12 (understanding + faith)? Can I use the Hand of Liet trait to give me another die? I could remove overconfident by giving you threat too, right?)
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

My reading is you still roll same dice, but with higher difficulty, 3 in this case. Hand of Liet won't apply. You could remove the trait by giving me Threat, or buy more dice by giving me Threat.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

Dishes, timing, names...why was everything so complicated all of a sudden!?

The poor desert girl was lost

---
I am a serving girl! diff 3, 12- for sux: 2#1d20 16 17
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Her overconfidence shattered, she had to accept humility and truly learn how to infiltrate an unfamiliar environment...

[Complication Removed, 1 Advancement Point gained for Failing Difficulty 3 Test]

/fade to waitress training montage
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

/explosion fade-in

A distant thunder rocked the plaz windows, and the tremor was enough to drop som plates on the floor, shattering them.

[Uderstand 1 to realise it is an explosion, potential Momentum can be spent on details.]
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

The new waitress almost dropped the plates she had been carrying but caught herself

But what was happening? A Harkonnen ploy?!

'splosion?! Understand+duty <10: 2#1d20 19 12
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Mapes grimaced for a brief moment, then nodded to herself. "Others are seeing to it." She said enigmatically, then hurried her efforts to send the servants to the halls. One was commanded to be ready to collect the towels, as soon as possible.
Ahmina

Post by Ahmina »

She was not sure what to do so she merely followed instructions as best she could. She did not quite understand this world so she needed to observe and learn.

/scene?
Lady Fenring

Post by Lady Fenring »

/no!

Steps down the staircase brought the shuffle of a long robe, and the perfectly cut-out figure of who could only be the Lady Fenring. Fully composed, he took inventory of the situation in the kitchen, and the faces. When her gaze crossed over Ahmina, the Fremen girl felt naked for a moment, as if the maker's tooth she kept hidden was out in the open. It must have been the lack of stillsuit.

"There is a situation in the town, Mapes, but for now please assume we are on schedule." She gave Mapes a measure of respect few offworld nobles would. Did she know that Mapes was the Shadout?