[Day 2 - LA] Bow to Your Sensei

Dorian Drake

[Day 2 - LA] Bow to Your Sensei

Post by Dorian Drake »

The Residency was well equipped, including a large training gym.

As the Sun made its turn in the sky and began its descent, Dorian entered the gym to find his training partner. He wore his stillsuit, still acclimating himself to it, as well as his trademark kindjals.
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Re: [Day 2 - LA] Bow to Your Sensei

Post by Reyyan Ebrahammi »

When he spots Reyyan she's not in a stillsuit, instead in somewhat scant workout clothes that show off her musculature. Her shield generator and dagger hang from a belt around her waist.

"Sir Drake, good afternoon. I see you decided to stay in the stillsuit. That's probably wise for training for later, but a bit late on my part."

She is in the middle of tying her hair up to keep it out of her face like her helmet usually does.
Sardaukar * Armored * Guardian * Strict * Loyal * Fanatical * Religious * Tall * Levenbrech
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Yes, I don't like to go into battle with untested equipment if I can help it." He stepped up to the mat, pulled out his kindjals and gave Reyyan a duelist's salute. "I think we can go for more intensive training than what we practiced on the trip here. How about first to three strikes wins, piercing the shield is a strike?"
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

"Works for me."

Done with her hair she lowered her arms and flipped out her throwing dagger, not really able to spin it like some daggers because of the attachment line.

"Too hot for anything more complicated anyways, old man."
Sardaukar * Armored * Guardian * Strict * Loyal * Fanatical * Religious * Tall * Levenbrech
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian turned on his shield and prepared himself for the Levenbrech's attack.

-----
LA2, Training R1, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 6 11
Defense difficulty = 6 : 3 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality 1 parry blade)

OOC: Defender rolls first to set difficulty. Using skirmish rules, can make an attack roll against opponent in same zone (one zone for mat, we can try multiple zones later to incorporate movement), can also try to disarm at difficulty 4 (contest roll plus quality?).
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Reyyan strikes out, but her attack misses to Dorian's left, Reyyan moving smoothly to turn and whip the blade in a circle to hold her opponent back while she reset herself.

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, attack 1, difficulty 6, Battle 8 + Power 6 TN14, Short Blade focus (8): 2#1d20 4 9 3 successes.

DEFENSE

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, Defense 1, Battle+Faith, TN15, +2 difficulty (shield asset + rope dagger asset): 2#1d20 14 12 2 successes + 2 from assets = Difficulty 4
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian tried to capitalize on Reyyan's missed attack, but she kept up a solid defense, preventing his advance.

"I heard you go up to some excitement yesterday... well more excitement after the explosion itself." He said as he circled around her looking for an opening.

-----
LA2, Training R1, Attacker, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 16 18
Failed 0 successes
DEFENSE
LA2, Training R2, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 7 11
Defense difficulty = 6 : 3 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality 1 parry blade)
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

The discussion actually distracted the young woman, and she swung wide enough to not even need a parry from Dorian, "I suppose so. Was just checking out the cause of the explosion. If I'm guarding people I'm not the sort to let a nearby explosion going off near my charges without seeing who set it off and why. Even if I put Sir Reins and Lady Gray in harms way in the process."

She kept the blade spinning, even if it made it less accurate that way.

--------------------

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, attack 2, difficulty 6, Battle 8 + Power 6 TN14, Short Blade focus (8): 2#1d20 15 16 0 successes

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, Defense 2, Battle+Faith, TN15, +2 difficulty (shield asset + rope dagger asset): 2#1d20 2 5 2 successes + 2 quality 0 defensive assets = Difficulty 4
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I don't know much about Mr. Reins, but Ms. Gray can handle herself well enough. I have faith in your abilities to protect your charges, it is why you were chosen to lead the Sardaukar on this mission." He says while continuing to circle Reyyan looking for an opening. Seeing none, he decides he needs to deal with her dagger, at least temporarily, but fails to catch up to the swinging weapon.

-----
LA2, Training R2, Attacker, Asset, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 15 10
Failed 2 successes vs 4 difficulty to disarm.
LA2, Training R3, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 5 10
Defense difficulty = 6 : 3 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 4 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

"I will admit, I wasn't too worried in that sense. Certainly, nothing like a secondary explosion. I was a bit soft though, letting the person who had information on the explosion go... But the car needed to get away, and I didn't feel like arguing. Too bad really... But I suppose it gave a lead."

Rey tried in turn to grab one of Dorian's blades with her wire but missed; The two of them were fighting defensively, so it would mostly come down to who presented an opening first.

---------

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, attack 3, disarm, Battle/Power w/ short blade emphasis. Difficulty 4 and TN 13 with Crit 7.: 2#1d20 10 12 2 successes of 4 needed on Disarm

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, Defense 2, Battle+Faith, TN15 Crit 7, +3 difficulty (shield asset + short blade emphasis): 2#1d20 2 14 3 successes + 3 from assets/emphasis = Difficulty 5 (4 disarm)
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I wouldn't categorize that as soft," Dorian begins as he pulls his kindjal out of reach from her attempt, "there is merit in allowing a smaller prey go to in order to bait the larger predator." He lunges in to attack the hand holding the anchor for her dagger, but the Levenbrech in turn lunges forward, increasing their relative speeds so Dorian's kindjal clashes against the shield and slides away harmlessly.

This maneuver left Dorian unbalanced and more exposed than their previous exchanges.

-----
LA2, Training R3, Attacker, Asset, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 18 2
Failed 2 successes vs 4 difficulty
DEFENSE
LA2, Training R4, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 10 18
Defense difficulty = 4 : 1 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 3 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

"I am strict with myself for a reason."

Rey caught her blade in her hand with a swift tug and a twist of her arm later there was the familiar sound of a blade piercing a Shield.

"I've no clue if this bigger prey will show up. Or if that smaller prey was telling me the truth."

She backed up from Dorian and sighed.

"It's so much easier when you can just solve problems by killing. God knows it was like that back on Salusa..."

Having not worn her stimsuit, Reyyan's body was already covered in a thin sheen of sweat just from the heat and exertion, even if she didn't seem tired otherwise.

===========

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, attack 4, Battle/Power w/ short blade emphasis. Difficulty 4 and TN 13 with Crit 7, 1 momentum for 3d20: 3#1d20 13 7 2 5 successes for hit
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

As her blade slowly pierced the shield and stopped just short of making contact, Dorian exclaimed, "Excellent strike! That's one point for you." Seeing the sheen of sweat on Reyyan, Dorian realized he felt much drier than he normally would at this point, pleasantly so. "These stillsuits aren't that bad. I thought it would be more cumbersome, but it's like a second skin, I don't feel any sweat after that, and no need for a water break." He emphasized his point by taking a sip from a tube sticking out near his neck. Not the freshest water, but it would sustain. Having a small grimace on his face he says, "You should give the stillsuit a try, it would probably fit under your armor."

Dorian bounces side to side on his feet and then settles into a defensive stance, beckoning to Reyyan with an outstretched hand.

-----
LA2, Training2 R1, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 7 2
Defense difficulty = 7 : 4 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 6 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Reyyan smirked and took up her stance again as well, "What, not enjoying the sight of me all sweaty today? You always used to say you enjoyed that, if I recall correctly."

As she talked she moved back and took a defensive stance herself, twirling the blade about herself like a whirring shield.

===================

Day 2, Bow to your sensei, defense 4, Battle/Faith, short blade emphasis, TN15 with Crit 7, +3 difficulty (quality 0 shield, quality 0 blade, emphasis): 2#1d20 7 7 4 successes + 3 = Difficulty 7 as well (using blade for defense rather than attack)
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I will always admire the sight of a beautiful woman, but I thought you might be more focused on the mission and less welcoming of my appreciation." He watches as she shifts from actively offensive to actively defensive.

"Good, you don't always have to be the first to act, sometimes it pays to let your opponent reveal themselves before lashing out." As he finishes his sentence he lunges forward to slash across her shield and draws back. "Observe your target and see where their strengths and weaknesses are so you can capitalize."

-----
LA2, Training2 R1, Attacker, Body, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 3 17
Failed 2 successes
DEFENSE
LA2, Training2 R2, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 11 8
Defense difficulty = 6 : 3 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 4 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

A small smirk, "I know how to separate my downtime and leisure time, Sir Drake. This? This is leisure time. I've separated any anxiety or planning or such for this mission and the safety of its inhabitants to give you my full attention."

That said, her probing attempt to knock a blade out of Dorian's hand missed, though it seemed her talking about "full attention" was right on as she left little opening despite the attack.

---------------------------

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, attack 1, Battle/Faith, Short Blade Emphasis, TN15 Crit 7, disarm attempt difficulty 4: 2#1d20 18 6 2 successes towards Disarm 4 = miss

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, Defense 2, Battle/Duty, TN14 Crit 7, +1 Defense (quality 0 shield): 2#1d20 6 1 4 successes + 1 = Difficulty 5 (disarm 4)
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Then I am glad I am able to provide some form of release for you from your duties." Dorian tried to counter her disarm with his own attempt, but she was too quick and noticed his shift in target before he could strike.

"I only question if this is the best use I can be making out of receiving your full attention?"

-----
LA2, Training2 R1, Attacker, Asset, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 16 19
Failed 0 successes
DEFENSE
LA2, Training2 R3, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 13 13
Defense difficulty = 5 : 2 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 3 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

A small shrug as she backed up and circled the man, "You're the most interesting person I've ever trained with. We Sardaukar don't really train against one another since none of us would put away our blade and admit defeat against each other."

Her attempt to disarm Dorian in turn just missed and she twisted the wire back. This stopped the spinning momentarily and left her more open than she'd been before.

---------------

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, attack 2, Battle/Faith, Short Blade Emphasis, TN15 Crit 7, disarm attempt difficulty 3: 2#1d20 1 17 2 success = miss

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, attack 2, Battle/Faith, Short Blade Emphasis, TN15 Crit 7, disarm attempt difficulty 3: 2#1d20 1 17 2 successes + shield = Defense 3
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"It's a shame, there's a mountain of knowledge to be gained in sparring, particularly in admitting defeat. If you can't admit your failings, how can you address and overcome them?" Dorian struck out at her body, but was overeager to attack her limited opening and his blade, moving too fast, glanced off her shield.

"For instance, I was too hasty in attacking your opening there and glances off your shield. I need to slow down."
-----
LA2, Training2 R3, Attacker, Asset, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 19 18
Failed 0 successes, attacked body not asset.
DEFENSE
LA2, Training2 R4, Defender, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 9 9
Defense difficulty = 5 : 2 successes + 1 asset (quality 0 shield) + 2 asset (1x quality1 parry blade), or 3 to disarm.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

"There's no shortage of people to train against besides other Sardaukar. I will admit though, I always learn the most when it's someone more... skilled."

This time Dorian's reckless attack backfired as Rey finally caught his parrying blade with her wire, yanking it out of his hand and leaving him with his mainhand weapon.

"For instance, I know at this point to try to get that out of the way before going in for the pierce on you, Sir Drake."

That said... while Dorian was down a dagger, Reyyan was now wide open as she wound in the line to pull the parrying blade away from him and get the knife back to her hand.
---------------------

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, attack 3, Battle/Faith, Short Blade Emphasis, TN15 Crit 7, disarm attempt difficulty 3, spending momentum from earlier nat 1 for 3rd die: 3#1d20 3 10 19 3 successes for disarm.

Day 2, Bow to your sensei2, Defense 4, Battle/Duty, TN14 Crit 7, +1 Defense (quality 0 shield): 2#1d20 8 18 1 success + 1 shield asset = Difficulty 2
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Shortly after Reyyan had taken his one blade, the other swung around to slowly slide into her shield, stopping short of drawing blood. "Or did I want you focus on that blade and make you think I couldn't properly execute a riposte?"

In truth, it took every bit of effort for him to sneak in this attack and earn the strike. However, leaving your sparring partner overestimating your abilities often drove them to push beyond their own limits, another lesson he had learned on Ginaz.

-----
LA2, Training2 R4, Attacker, Body, Battle 8 + Power 7, Focus Dueling, TN 15: 2#1d20 15 10
Passed 2 successes
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Rey smirked at the familiar hum of blade meeting shield, looking down at the dagger a moment before stepping back and bowing a little, "A calculated gamble. One that didn't work out in the end."

She finishes pulling back her blade and catches it in her hand. "Can't just stay on the defense all the time, after all. "I can think of worse ways for my hopes to be wrong. Means I chose an interesting person to spar with, after all."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian strode across the room to retrieve his kindjal. "Just because a gamble doesn't pay off this time, doesn't mean it won't the next. Every situation is fluid, changing. Learn from your past mistakes and successes, but never fixate on either of them, the only things that matters is the here and the now."

Picking up his blade, Dorian slid his ring finger into the silver band attached to the handle and gave it a few test spins.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

"I have faith that I'm capable of that sort of thing. Only those controlled by fear and doubt dwell on things like that. Well... mostly."

Reyyan seemed content with the amount of sparring at the moment as she walked over to her stuff and picked up a towel, dabbing herself with it, "...I thought they always used to say a dry heat like this wasn't so bad."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I think that's just another lie people tell themselves so they can feel better about feeling bad. Or maybe it's one of those grass is always greener on the other side deals?" Dorian watched her towel off. "You should take some time to fit your stillsuit, there's a servant girl here, Ahmina. She's a fremen and she was very helpful with instructing me how to properly wear mine. Also, she provided some useful information this morning. I plan on asking the Count if we can enlist her services as a guide for the interim."
Description