[Day 2 - SMS] A Gentleman Calls

Dorian Drake

[Day 2 - SMS] A Gentleman Calls

Post by Dorian Drake »

Before heading on to the Frigate , Dorian decided to call on Rima nearby. She was an intriguing woman and seemed like the type to keep tabs of what was going on around her. In his experience, those who claim a neutral stance often have a wider view of the big picture. Though she may not be paid to indulge in it, she didn't seem naive enough to leave herself ignorant of potential threats.
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Kannon

Re: [Day 2 - SMS] A Gentleman Calls

Post by Kannon »

The club - calling it a gentleman's club would be too exclusive a framing - was called 'Oasis'. Its glow-neon was stylish, tapping into aspirations of coming to a better place than was usually available to commoners. On this planet, commoners sometimes had cash surges corresponding with dreams of a better life, and for those brief moments they came here. If not them, Arrakis had enough parasitic nouveaux-riches bred by the Harkonnen regime who could find yet another path to self-reassurance in a place of abandon. And then there were galactic passers-by, like Dorian.
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

The Oasis was a little on the gaudy side, even for Dorian's tastes, but he'd seen worse. He could see the appeal on an otherwise drab planet.

Looking to make sure there were poison snoopers, Dorian heads to the bar to get a drink and check with the bartender to see if Rima was in.
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

There were mostly Harkonnen ales on tab, but better liquors as well. There was a single bottle of Kirana brandy, but so exorbitantly expensive that Dorian could conclude it was a trophy exhibit to raise the profile of the locale.

"Dorian." Rima sat by the bar. "Coming to me on the Hour of Assassins. Should I be afraid?"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian was nursing one of the nicer liquors, although nothing so extravagant as the Kirana Brandy. He smiled at the sight of Rima and raised his glass to greet her. "I find only those who have done terrible deeds or those who cross the ones that do terrible deeds have anything to fear from the Hour of Assassins. You wouldn't fall into either of those categories would you?"
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"I am terrible on occasion. Aren't you?" She held her own glass hanging on her fingers extended upward as her elbow found support on the counter. The liquor danced gently, and darkly - in the dim, sultry lights on the place, undulating as she played with it using moves of her exposed wrist as if she imagined an ocean that got closed in a wineglass so that she could control it.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

He grinned at her comment. This was a woman used to dealing with dangerous men, even thriving on it. Dorian was mesmerized by the movement in the glass for a moment before he cast his eye back to Rima's, "Oh, I can be an absolute beast." He teased, "But I see a beauty who might yet tame me."
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"I dare say you may cease to be interesting if you allow yourself to be turned too docile." She chuckled, finally dipping her lips in the liquor.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Is a Salusan Bull or a Laza Tiger any less interesting for being tamed? A tamed beast is still dangerous, just less so to its master... unless its master betrays it."

Dorian was already pleased with the little back and forth that Rima offered. He understood that this was how she made her livelihood, but it didn't make it any less enticing.

"Is there somewhere we could enjoy a bit more privacy?"
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"You know there is. Question is, what would you need such privacy for?" She let it hang for a moment. "Whether it is Salusan bulls for the Atreides or the Mutelli, or the big felines for the Corrino, the trainers are handsomely rewarded for their effort."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I know your time is valuable and I'm confident you're well worth it. For the time, I'd like the pleasure of your company in conversation. I find it to be plenty of stimulation for the time being. The training may have to way for another time." He says with a smirk.
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"Take your drink with you." She said as she rose, directing her steps to one of the private alcoves on the other side of the bar.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian collected his drink from the bar and followed Rima to the alcove, waiting for her to take her own seat before sitting down himself.

"While I do enjoy our banter, perhaps we can have a more serious discussion. You seem to be a savvy business woman. You've survived and thrived on a harsh planet with brutes in power and cutthroat competition, but you walked the thin line to success and that is something I can appreciate, something House Mutelli can appreciate."
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"So, a compliment, even several, which I appreciate, and then a vague mention of your possible offworld assets. What I haven't heard yet is a something you want from me, Dorian." She leaned onto the otoman while looking at him curiously. "Since the pretense of wooing has been abandoned?"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Well, nothing's off the table yet," He says with a grin, "but duty and business come first. You have built something here, something stable. House Mutelli has been... hands off on Arrakis for some time. Trying to gain profits here is like trying to eat the forbidden fruit. Sometimes you benefit, but most of the time you will suffer. However, circumstances change and we are looking for business partners, ones who would share a common philosophy. Just what shape that partnership would take is up for discussion, I'm just identifying potential right now."

Dorian takes a sip from his drink, savoring the flavor. "You're savvy enough to see the benefits of having support outside of Arrakis."
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"Hence I am tentatively interested. Once you have something to bargain over to offer, I shall be an avid listener, Dorian." She paused. "Only a fool can think that Harkonnen are going to rule here indefinitely. At the same time, the moment of their end is moot for me if I don't outlast them. The justice we have is the justice we make, don't we?"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian smiled, "And that mindset is precisely why you would thrive working with House Mutelli. There is plenty a House Major like Mutelli can offer, the question is what is it that you desire. You already know we can provide the finest liquors in the known universe." Dorian gestures towards the bottle of Kirana Brandy on showcase behind the Oasis bar. "We also have amazing foods and talented chefs and lawtechs. Either could be invaluable in expanding into new markets here. Or we could arrange for exotic courtesans to growing your existing business."

He paused a moment to judge her interest, then leans in closer "Or for someone practical such as yourself, we can offer the safety of temporary passage off Arrakis. Just in case you happen to know something the Harkonnens wouldn't want our delegation to know. I can only imagine the kinds of things the ladies in your employ overhear..."

OOC: Will spend two game momentum to generate an asset of her choosing as payment she agrees to a partnership with House Mutelli and/or incriminating information on the Harkonnens.
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

[Your Asset is created!]

She considered.

"To stay and struggle, or to leave everything behind... this is a tighter choice than you can imagine, Dorian. Having a A House Major patron of such gravitas is something beneficial to me either way, as you've been kind to elaborate on. My business here is essentially in hospitality, so there is an overlap I can't easily dismiss. And there is also this issue of the fief change, if it comes, that involves legal dispute. I am technically a head of House Minor, after my late husband, but such status here on Arrakis rides on whim of the siridar, and legal safeguards could be very valuable to me..."

He looked into his eyes.

"And yet - there is always a yet, isn't it? - I am not sure how much of your well-meant and sincere offer shall be honoured once you get from me what you seek. You are but a retainer in your house, one with aspirations of your own, but not in a position to make important calls? Correct me if I err. You can blame me for what I often call a harlot's prudence - to receive payment before the service."

[Communicate 3 to convince her to make a leap of faith. This cannot be succeeded at a cost.]
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian listened to Rima's reply, appreciating her position and her caution. When she finished, he responds, "I understand you are used to how things are done here on Arrakis. House Mutelli is known by all in the Landsraad as an honest broker."

He reaches down to hooks the rings on his kindjals with his thumbs and slowly pulls them out to present them rather than wield them, "By my honor as a Swordmaster of Ginaz, I swear on these blades that the offer I present to you is made in good faith on behalf of House Mutelli and will be upheld."

-----
SMS2, By my blade, Communicate 6 + Duty 8, TN 14 +3 threat: 4#1d20 20 18 14 18
Failed 1 success, 1 complication at 20, +3 threat
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"I believe you." She lied, but only a bit. "Who wouldn't believe the word of the famed Swordmaster of Ginaz?"

She straightened herself and took a moment to drink, thoughtfully.

"Let me make a suggestion then. I shall think about it, you shall consult your superiors what's in the realm of possibility for you to offer, and we'll return to the matter next time we meet. Still, I'd be unfair if I didn't give you a hint of the value of information I possess: by virtue of my business profile, I know a few things about what kind of offworlders and how many of them have been recently allowed into Arrakis."

[Complication: Dorian was too loud in his heartfelt declaration; someone may have overheard.]
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Pleased with her words, Dorian sheathed his kindjals. "Most intriguing. As you wish, I will contact House Mutelli and obtain the confirmation you require."

Dorian takes up his glass, swirling it around the glass and bringing it to his nose to savor the scent before taking a drink. "You know, you don't have to make an excuse if you want me to visit you again." He says with a teasing wink. "But alas, I think Sunrise is around the corner and I must get back to my ship."
Description
Rima Birawi

Post by Rima Birawi »

"Of course." She said as a general reply to his remarks, after a small chuckle. "You know where the exit is, Dorian. I'll stay here for a moment more, and think on what you have said. Please don't get killed."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian finished off his drink and stood. "I am touched by your concern and the same to you." He says with a slight bow before leaving Oasis and heading back to the Frigate.

/scene?
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

/scene
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going