Accessories to Violence [Pregame]

Kannon

Accessories to Violence [Pregame]

Post by Kannon »

"I tell you, they are desperate. They are ordering them from us, ha-ha, damn lasguns, from us! Hasn't happened in decades! How many must they be losing if their own factories can't cope with it? As much as I love how they handle Arrakis, a lot of business opportunity, I don't think it will last long. Now that the Emperor has cut deep into their margin..."

It was a small bar at the end of the left thoroughfare, called The Engine, as the hum of the Holtzman engine was heard there... or was just being imitated. One would have to know the heighliner better to truly tell. It could well have been one of the oxygenators. It had good liquor prices, and served mostly individuals with a one-way ticket to Arrakis, the contractors.

"So why are we even going, huh? Why are you going, Griff, if it's all going to fold?"

The drunk called Griff bellowed. "Someone will come after them, the spice must flow and all that. Whoever that is, they will need hardy folks like us no less than the Harkonnen. If you're there for the time of need, you can get a nice solari premium, mate! Think, man, a year of hard work on this hellhole and a nice house on... where are you from?"

"Balut."

"And a nice house on Balut! Let's drink for that!"
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Dorian Drake

Re: Accessories to Violence [Pregame]

Post by Dorian Drake »

Edwell was sitting at the bar, slowly nursing a drink when his ears perked up at the mention of lasguns. He was making the rounds of the heighliner, gauging the temperature of the commoners and merchants on their way to Arrakis. After listening in a bit more, he picks up his drink and makes his way over.

He slides into a stool next to the two men and addresses them in a subdued voice, "Fellow visionaries I see. Right you are, when others are in a bad way, that's the best time to step in and make a neat profit. I'm also heading to Arrakis to make my own fortune. " He raises his glass to the two.
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

Not far away, Cuyler ordered another drink to sample. She wouldn't do much beyond tasting it. She simply wished to test the flavors of what others were drinking and understand what appealed to them. Affordability was a factor, of course, but even well liquor could offer interesting insights. After all, high end alcohol was sought after for rarity and perceived value as much as for quality and taste.
House Mutelli 🔪 Spice Sommelier 🔪 Chef 🔪 Observant 🔪 Detail Oriented

Carries: Chef's Knife
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"You don't look like a miner to me, mate!" A comment was made more of curiosity than malice as Edwell was given a once-over. But the glass were raised. "More like a fincap man or something. But someone's gotta keep the numbers right, eh? If they be wrong, Sardaukar can come and blow the whole thing into the dust."

---

It wasn't Kirana brandy. but it was a decent brandy, maybe even from less known Caladan winemakers. There was a level below which the Guild didn't descend even for economy passengers.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Spot on." Edwell says as he taps the side of his nose.

"I had assumed from your conversation that you were entrepreneurs, merchants. I am no stranger to physical labor, but you have my respect if you are going to Arrakis to mine. Do you have any experience mining, on Arrakis on previous trips or perhaps on your homeworld..." He ends with a drawn out pause, waiting for the men to fill it with their answers.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The man grinned wide, revealing a diamond set in a place of one of his bottom premolars, and he apparently considered it enough of an answer.
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Ah, Pliesse, I did a bit of legal work, contracts, for an entrepreneur opening up an entertainment establishment there. The broker on the other side had similar set of diamond adornments. It's a shame Hagal has such a hold on the jewellery market, I find the diamonds of Pliesse much more elegant."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"Mark my words, mate, they have almost run out. Even now they fake some of those trinkets to make their reputation going, but the future ain't theirs. We have the damn directorship and they can go flint themselves."

The foreman seemed pleased with the discussion." Giedi ale for that one, he knows what's good!"
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

It was palatable. Cuyler looked around as she sipped the brandy, idly listening to the conversation..

Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Well, I won't say no to another drink. But let me ask you, you mentioned something about some new business, new opportunities." he emphasized the word and paused a moment to let it sink in. "If you have some information about some transactions going on where someone experienced in accounting and contract work such as myself may find a commission to be made, that may be worth a finder's fee."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"Ain't a purveyor of opportunities, but a taker." The foreman laughed. "But I can give ye a name. The name is Weyer Paymon. Seek him out and he may have something for ye."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Weyer Paymon, I will look him up." Edwell takes a drink of his Giedi Ale, "Just remember to read your contracts carefully, those Harkonnens are tough bargainers. They'll pinch every last solari they can out of you."

While Mutelli held no love for the Uchans, Edwell respected the people of Pliesse. Their deep space operations created a different breed. This one might actually survive long enough to make it back off Arrakis.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"But men must live, I go for the vices too!" The man laughed, dawning his ale and asking for another. "Ain't some Buddhislamic monk to survive on work and gruel."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"Exactly," Edwell says agreeably, "work hard, play hard. But, I've heard the Harkonnens work their miners non-stop and they charge ridiculous rates out of your earnings for any commodities. They are not honest brokers."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"They don't run everythin' on Arrakis, as much as they'd like to." The man said with a wink."I bet ye can find yer way 'round if ye're smart."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

"I wish you gentlemen good fortune in your business, but I must be taking my leave." Edwell will give the bartender enough solari for another round of drinks for the two and leave the bar.

/exit
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The libation went on...
Cuyler Gray

Post by Cuyler Gray »

Cuyler had sampled and listened enough. She finished her current drink and left to explore more.

Kannon

Post by Kannon »

/scene