Monsters in Our Midst [Pregame]

Kannon

Monsters in Our Midst [Pregame]

Post by Kannon »

The largest lounge on the heighliner was crowded and hushed with the kind of tension a lid would put on the water boiling underneath it. Most eyes were on the projector screen where the special Landsraad session was being retransmitted. Even the Wayku knew better than to advertise now.
Facing the Landsraad, CHOAM Ur-Director Malina Aru's posture slumped. With a visible effort, she gathered herself and turned to the side of the speaking zone, waiting. Three men in formal attire entered from the perimeter, and then another three from the opposite side, and another trio came from the front, each group bearing a large and impressive display of exotic flowers from all across the Imperium. They placed the lavish bouquets on the stage around Malina.

"These flowers are to honor the victims of the horrendous tragedy on Otorio, blossoms from the worlds that each fallen noble called home,” she said, then added steel to her voice. “No memorial can possibly make up for the loss of so many significant lives.”

The Landsraad hall murmurred in dissatisfaction. Then, the CHOAM Urdir's gesture activated a set of images. Holos of the dead Landsraad members shimmered throughout the audience in the great hall, appearing in their proper empty seats, like ghosts.
"I heard Jaxson did a similar thing on the skies of Otorio! She's playing with our senses with this damn Ixian tech, can't you see it?" The voice of outrage met no response, it was probably forcefully hushed by someone.
Some Landsraad members sobbed. The holos did not move, mere projections of the dead, each one depicted in official Landsraad robes, sitting stiffly with hands clasped on their laps.

Malina continued, “I was not able to attend the gala on Otorio, and for that I have formally apologized to the Emperor. I survived, but only by happenstance. I did not know what my son intended to do.”

Some members wiped tears from their eyes, and waves of sobbing passed through the chamber. A few angry grumbles of disbelief rippled through the tiered seats.

Malina added an edge of real anger to her voice. "If I had known, I would have stopped him. I would have killed him if necessary! I denounce what Jaxson did. CHOAM does not support his actions in any way, nor do I … his mother." She drew in a shuddering breath.
"I don't pity her, but I believe her." Some woman said, bringing her pre-teen child closer to her, as if to protect him from becoming a degenerate like Jaxson Aru. Again, it met no comment from the lounge.
"From my personal holdings, and by assent of the CHOAM board, we will donate a significant sum to help the noble houses harmed by my son’s reprehensible act, and also the families of the other victims, the commoners, the retainers, friends, and support staff. Not every casualty came from a wealthy House — countless workers helped build the Corrino museum and the Imperial Monolith. For their laudable achievements, CHOAM wishes to honor their memories.”

Polite applause went through the chamber, but did not last long. Malina Aru's face became covered by shame, like a mourning cloak fell.

“I find this difficult to say. Impossible to say. I know … I know … I gave birth to a monster.” Tears streamed down her face.

The audience fell silent, listening to her every word, watching her every movement and gesture.

“I renounce my son, sever all ties to him. Emperor Shaddam has declared him an outlaw, as do I. I grieve with you, but not for him. I hope never to see Jaxson again … except when he is brought to justice.”

She left the speaking zone to a stunned silence. The holoprojections of the dead Landsraad members remained for a few moments longer before they flickered out.

There was some stunned silence in the lounge as well, as parts of that audience shared the emotions of the Landsraad nobles in the hall on Kaitain, as they may have suffered loss themselves. But not all reacted that way. Scowl, sneer, anger in some.

"I think your boss is full of donkey dung." Someone pointed accusingly at some official wearing a CHOAM pin, almost poking him in the forehead, but who was this exactly got obscured by some people leaving, seeking privacy after this.

Then, the heated discussions truly erupted.
The Maker | Blessed Her Coming and Going
Dorian Drake

Re: Monsters in Our Midst [Pregame]

Post by Dorian Drake »

Dorian stood near the center of the room watching the projection. He observed others reacting, foolishly wearing their hearts on their sleeves. At the mention of those lost, nobles, retainers, and commoners alike, he respectfully raised his glass.

He held no personal opinion as to whether Urdir Aru was sincere or not or whether she was complicit with Jaxson's actions or not. It was not his place to make these decisions, he was an instrument to be directed where his Duke deemed. He merely kept himself readied and enjoyed life until such times as now when he was called on to act.

After the presentation finished, Dorian meandered about enjoying his drink, not letting the tension in the air effect his mood.

Meanwhile, Edwell stood several paces away from Dorian, closer to the edge of the room, but within range to close the distance quickly if necessary. During the presentation, he paid little attention to the projection, focusing more on who was reacting and how, making silent note of his observations.
House Mutelli |Swordmaster of Ginaz | Duelist | Opulent | Charismatic
Description
Carries: Two Kindjals and a Shield Belt
Wears: Stillsuit and Red Sash over Shield Belt
Accompanied by Lawtech Edwell Santini
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"...Such things happen once in a while..." A shred of conversation, a female voice that seemed to have commanded itself to sound innocuous, but was passing some ulterior meaning.
Bomilcar Thorvald

Post by Bomilcar Thorvald »

Bomilcar was off to the side, with his back to a wall. Because he always had his back to the wall, whether literally or figuratively. At least he liked it figuratively... made him feel safe, keep an eye on the room. And with the storm of discussion brewing, this is exactly where he wanted to be... eyes forward and prepared to face anything.
House Thorvald * Inglorious Bastard * Protector * Kind Heart * Hard Eyes * Intense * Scarred * Quiet
Carries: Broken-back Saex, Personal Shield
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"...Oh how the crows are now gathering..." A raspy voice, full of disapproval, from someone seated close to the projector.
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Post by Reyyan Ebrahammi »

Reyyan stood and watched impassively on the far edge of the room; She would love to kill the little monster if she ever had the chance, but she knew her duty. God had directed her to this mission, for what she knew not. But she would find that purpose by the end of it. Everything else, every other desire she had to find the enemies of the Empire and make them pay... they would wait.

Her fingers briefly brushed the hilt of her sheathed knife though as she thought of what had happened.
Sardaukar * Armored * Guardian * Strict * Loyal * Fanatical * Religious * Tall * Levenbrech
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Kannon wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:16 pm
"...Such things happen once in a while..." A shred of conversation, a female voice that seemed to have commanded itself to sound innocuous, but was passing some ulterior meaning.
Edwell moved through the crowd to get closer to the source of this comment, trying to hear more of their conversation.
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"...it's tragic, of course, but houses rise and fall. By whatever means that happens, wouldn't the outcome be the same, a vacuum those of merit could fill? Nobody would want our Imperium to stagnate too much, would they not?" The lady had her voice tinged with tipsiness, but this might have been feigned, a convenient ruse to justify this speculation. Her own loyalties weren't clear from her garment, a black gown with some fire opal accessories, but who was her audience?
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Reyyan Ebrahammi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 pm
Reyyan stood and watched impassively on the far edge of the room; She would love to kill the little monster if she ever had the chance, but she knew her duty. God had directed her to this mission, for what she knew not. But she would find that purpose by the end of it. Everything else, every other desire she had to find the enemies of the Empire and make them pay... they would wait.

Her fingers briefly brushed the hilt of her sheathed knife though as she thought of what had happened.
Seeing a familiar face in the crowd, Dorian easily made his way through the loiterers. "Levenbrech Ebrahammi, I am glad to see you were assigned this detail." He gives a formal salute, knowing Reyyan was a stickler for those little details. "I've missed our sparring sessions." He added, his hands resting on the hilts of the two kindjals holstered at his hips.
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Dorian Drake wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:41 pm
Seeing a familiar face in the crowd, Dorian easily made his way through the loiterers. "Levenbrech Ebrahammi, I am glad to see you were assigned this detail." He gives a formal salute, knowing Reyyan was a stickler for those little details. "I've missed our sparring sessions." He added, his hands resting on the hilts of the two kindjals holstered at his hips.
The tall woman seemed to break out of a reverie, looking at the man closely before inclining her head, "Sir Drake. Color me surprised to see you on a mission like this. Surprised, but not unhappy."

She looked over at the man's aide a moment before looking back at him, "And I see you have brought Mr. Santini as well. A wise move, I think."
Sardaukar * Armored * Guardian * Strict * Loyal * Fanatical * Religious * Tall * Levenbrech
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Kannon wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:35 pm
"...it's tragic, of course, but houses rise and fall. By whatever means that happens, wouldn't the outcome be the same, a vacuum those of merit could fill? Nobody would want our Imperium to stagnate too much, would they not?" The lady had her voice tinged with tipsiness, but this might have been feigned, a convenient ruse to justify this speculation. Her own loyalties weren't clear from her garment, a black gown with some fire opal accessories, but who was her audience?
Edwell agreed with her sentiment. The status quo was a slow and insidious death sentence. It was the only gripe he had with the Mutellis' general stance, although they had walked that line rather elegantly for quite some time, so he had to admit that they may know a thing or two more than him.

Looking around for Dorian, hoping to push him to break into this conversation (Edwell certainly wouldn't), he spots the man flirting with the Sardaukar woman.. Well, at least he was establishing useful connections.

Left on his own, Edwell made his way wide around the woman in black to look for someone innocuous to strike up a conversation with so he could have a better vantage point of whom she was speaking with.
Description
Bomilcar Thorvald

Post by Bomilcar Thorvald »

The chatter did not draw his interest in the same way that people moving did. He watched as others met, eyes on hands and blades, taking note of those individuals where they were in the same spot. He looks at Reyyan, for a few seconds when here hand crossed the plane of her blade, but determines that she doesn't seem to be tense enough to be preparing to use it. He had a nose for those that could be truly dangerous. He suspected she was one of those.
House Thorvald * Inglorious Bastard * Protector * Kind Heart * Hard Eyes * Intense * Scarred * Quiet
Carries: Broken-back Saex, Personal Shield
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Reyyan Ebrahammi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:02 pm

The tall woman seemed to break out of a reverie, looking at the man closely before inclining her head, "Sir Drake. Color me surprised to see you on a mission like this. Surprised, but not unhappy."

She looked over at the man's aide a moment before looking back at him, "And I see you have brought Mr. Santini as well. A wise move, I think."
"Yes, he's more than a bit of a bore, but he does his job well. Can't have me stepping on any toes or violating Kanly can we?" He says with a wag of his eyebrows at his little pun.
Description
Claudius Reins

Post by Claudius Reins »

At one of the side tables of the lounge Reins is playing cards with his assistant, and anyone else who happened to decide to join, as he glances at his hand he speaks to Addison "It's obvious to me that the guests at the museum were just collateral damage, the boy was trying to kill his mother"
addison.jpg
addison.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
"If so then even his failure to get her is causing her enough grief and disrupting CHOAM operations enough to serve his purpose"
House Londine | Financial Analyst | Honest | Non-Combatant
Accompanied by: Addison Passepartout & Kage
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

The very presence of a Sardaukar in the room killed some conversations. Any speculation on what was an outrageous attack against the Padishah Emperor could provoke them. They just might abide by the Guild rules here on board, but marking for death was as good as killing for them. Few escaped the Emperor's wrath. One need only remember the death of Viscount Hundro Moritani, and before him of Earl Dominic Vernius and his Lady Shando. Or any of the atrocities of the Great Spice War. A minor functionary of any house could draw calamity upon their patrons.

That made the tipsy woman hesitate as well, once she noticed. Her audience was probably the Ixian tradesman as there was a helix pin in his impeccable suit. He might have been the one to pour the drinks. "...and I am sure the Padishah Emperor will emerge stronger from all this." That statement wouldn't have probably passed the scrutiny of a truthsayer.
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Dorian Drake wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:08 pm
"Yes, he's more than a bit of a bore, but he does his job well. Can't have me stepping on any toes or violating Kanly can we?" He says with a wag of his eyebrows at his little pun.
A small smile and a predatory look crossed Reyyan's eyes, "If you were to do so, it would be a pleasure seeing if I could put a dagger between your ribs. Still, I would hope you don't need him for the latter. As to the former... sometimes toes need to be stepped on for ones such as us to get results, no? We're not here to play nice with the Harkonen, after all. Not too nice at least."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Reyyan Ebrahammi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm

A small smile and a predatory look crossed Reyyan's eyes, "If you were to do so, it would be a pleasure seeing if I could put a dagger between your ribs. Still, I would hope you don't need him for the latter. As to the former... sometimes toes need to be stepped on for ones such as us to get results, no? We're not here to play nice with the Harkonen, after all. Not too nice at least."
Dorian smiled back, "While I always appreciate the direct approach, age and time with House Mutelli have given me an appreciation of fine liquors..." he slowly sips from his glass, "No, wait, the subtle approach, that's what I've gained an appreciation of. The slow blade as it were." He says with a knowing grin.

"Speaking of, they've equipped us with a top class sparring gym. We should get some bouts in before Arrakis. Who knows how much time we'll have once we arrive."
Description
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

Claudius Reins wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:23 pm
At one of the side tables of the lounge Reins is playing cards with his assistant, and anyone else who happened to decide to join, as he glances at his hand he speaks to Addison "It's obvious to me that the guests at the museum were just collateral damage, the boy was trying to kill his mother"

addison.jpg

"If so then even his failure to get her is causing her enough grief and disrupting CHOAM operations enough to serve his purpose"
"You speak as if she was there on Otorio, sir. But no Aru was there. No Verdun, no Tull... nor a Londine for the matter. All of them absent, and so no casualties for their houses on the list of 84. Just Count Iqar Uchan, whose death paved way for Jalma Aru's claim on the House." The man chuckled, looking at his cards. "I am not suggesting anything. Merely stating the facts."
Claudius Reins

Post by Claudius Reins »

Kannon wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:08 pm

"You speak as if she was there on Otorio, sir. But no Aru was there. No Verdun, no Tull... nor a Londine for the matter. All of them absent, and so no casualties for their houses on the list of 84. Just Count Iqar Uchan, whose death paved way for Jalma Aru's claim on the House." The man chuckled, looking at his cards. "I am not suggesting anything. Merely stating the facts."
"My understanding was she was supposed to be there, but something came up last minute and her arrival was delayed. And the Lord of House Londine is not known for his appreciation of museums, I am afraid"
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

"Not known for his appreciation of House Corrino either then, I am afraid." The man actually spoke louder. He seemed to be a provocateur. But whose? "There is this idea, one a mentat may or may not appreciate, that those who weren't present despite the Emperor's insistence had known what was coming."
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Dorian Drake wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:50 pm
Dorian smiled back, "While I always appreciate the direct approach, age and time with House Mutelli have given me an appreciation of fine liquors..." he slowly sips from his glass, "No, wait, the subtle approach, that's what I've gained an appreciation of. The slow blade as it were." He says with a knowing grin.

"Speaking of, they've equipped us with a top class sparring gym. We should get some bouts in before Arrakis. Who knows how much time we'll have once we arrive."
"Each in its own time, really, as far as approaches go. And are you saying you're old now, Sir Drake? If so, maybe you should stay out of the sparring gym and take care of yourself."

She crosses her arms under her chest with a smirk.
Claudius Reins

Post by Claudius Reins »

Kannon wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 pm
"Not known for his appreciation of House Corrino either then, I am afraid." The man actually spoke louder. He seemed to be a provocateur. But whose? "There is this idea, one a mentat may or may not appreciate, that those who weren't present despite the Emperor's insistence had known what was coming."
He deals another hand "I would watch how loudly you say that friend, it would imply that ANY noble who survived was in on it. And of Course the Emperor lives" He smiles "May he rule forever"
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Reyyan Ebrahammi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:21 pm

"Each in its own time, really, as far as approaches go. And are you saying you're old now, Sir Drake? If so, maybe you should stay out of the sparring gym and take care of yourself."

She crosses her arms under her chest with a smirk.
"Well, I'm certainly no spring chicken, but I haven't even reached my prime." He says while patting his sides, which make a fairly solid sound from the impact.

"Before you go worrying about me, tell me if you've stopped telegraphing your telegraph to not telegraph your next move?" He asked while stroking his beard.

OOC: Dorian is ~40, well seasoned ;-)
Description
Reyyan Ebrahammi

Dorian Drake wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:12 am
"Well, I'm certainly no spring chicken, but I haven't even reached my prime." He says while patting his sides, which make a fairly solid sound from the impact.

"Before you go worrying about me, tell me if you've stopped telegraphing your telegraph to not telegraph your next move?" He asked while stroking his beard.

OOC: Dorian is ~40, well seasoned ;-)
"Is that so? I like to think I'm in my prime already, but perhaps you're right; There are things I could improve with my fighting techniques. I am not a subtle woman, Sir Drake, and it's worked for me so far. Perhaps a little bit of training in that regard would not go amiss though..."
Dorian Drake

Post by Dorian Drake »

Reyyan Ebrahammi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:03 am

"Is that so? I like to think I'm in my prime already, but perhaps you're right; There are things I could improve with my fighting techniques. I am not a subtle woman, Sir Drake, and it's worked for me so far. Perhaps a little bit of training in that regard would not go amiss though..."
"That's the spirit Levenbrech, there's always more to learn. I learn every time I cross blades and shields. I bet that man behind me has something to teach." Dorian watched Reyyan's eyes for the moment of recognition he knew would be there and for them to shift over to the man's position.

"Exactly, the one who looks like a caged lion, the one with the scar across his neck. I knew you'd have him spotted, he's spotted you. Yeah, he could definitely teach a thing or two with the blade." He says while absentmindedly spinning the silver rings on the hilts of his kindjals. "Well, let's go and introduce ourselves then."

Dorian turned around and walked through the crowd with purpose. He approached the man to make his introduction, "Hello there stranger, my name is Dorian Drake, Swordmaster from House Mutelli."
Description